Costume – Sailor Mercury (anime)

mercuryanime_ref.jpg
mercuryanime_a.jpg

Character: Sailor Mercury
Series: Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (1992 anime version)
Debut: Anime Expo 2014
Difficulty:
Cost: $200
Inspiration: My Sailor Mercury was made for a group to do work for Viz at Anime Expo 2014, based off the 90’s anime version.


Construction Notes: Tiara is from Catzia’s collectibles (protip: ditch the elastic and use Velcro to attach to your wig). Bows by Sparkle Pipsi and brooch by Daydreamer Nessa. The rest is by me. I used a modified version of Zan’s pattern and a thick white moleskin from Spandex World for the bodysuit. To make the collar stripes, I used Heat n Bond Light to set the bias tape down, and then topstitched over the top on either side. This keeps it straight with no puckering. The collar attaches over the top of the bodysuit with snaps. (tutorial here) The collar and skirt are both heavy matte satins sent to me from San Francisco by Nessa! I love this fabric and it is the perfect color. Jewel Blue in JoAnn’s Casa satin line is also a good match and perfect for Mercury, FYI.

The skirt is made from one jumbo circle skirt (inner circumference 3x my waist), and pleated at the top. One box pleat is in the center front, and knife pleats radiate out on either side. It is sewn into the bodysuit. The hip roll and puffy sleeves are stuffed with polyfill. The glove rolls are made using my own method and tutorial (see here) and cutting the same satin on the bias. The difference is we used a smaller piping filler. White gloves are from We Love Colors/Zaza Bridal. I made the choker by cutting a strip and sewing a tube from the same satin. It closes in the back with a snap (hint: use a piece of fashion to tape to keep it from sliding around backwards).

I knew that I would not find gogo boots in the matching color, so I bought white ones to match our Moon, and painted them. I started with blue floral spray, but couldn’t get a color match. So, I bought Tulip So Soft fabric paints and mixed up a shade that matched my fabric perfectly. I think the floral spray worked as sort of a primer/base for the fabric paint. It stayed pretty well throughout the convention, although I do keep the paint and touch it up between wears. I used this method for the boot tops, tutorial here.

The wig is an Inigo in Midnight Blue from Arda Wigs that I cut and styled myself. I put sections in curlers, and use a blowdryer and Got 2B Glued hairspray to style the curled 90’s anime bangs and volumize the whole wig.
Photo Credits: JouninK, Caleb Madonia, Cospix, Eurobeat Kasumi, Courtex Studios


Photos by Cospix


Photos by Eurobeat Kasumi


Photos by Courtex Studios


Photos by Madonia Photography


Photos by JouninK